Monday 2 August 2010

Taylor's Third Class (part2)

So then we started talking about helping people, about giving without expecting something in return. How that would make a better world. And as the evening progressed, we ended up witnessing the very translation of our ideas into reality before our eyes.

In one unforgettable night in Tel Aviv.

When we arrived in Tel Aviv Central train station, the one next to the תחנה מרכזית, I received a call from Menachem. He and Taylor had been to the library the day before, and they were talking about this book about the Warsaw guetto fighters, or something like that. And he was telling me that he had just bought the book for Taylor, as a gift. But he didn’t want me to tell him. He wanted it to be a surprise. And so, right there, the first kindness act that would set the wheels in motion.

I didn’t tell Taylor about the book, at first I said that it was Tyler on the phone, saying that he was in Tel Aviv and wanted to meet up with us later that night. He believed me and then I just totally forgot about it. Completely. That’s the best way to keep a secret, just forget about it. Put it out of your mind totally. Because you won’t forget it for good, whenever the subject is mentioned, surely the memory of the secret will return to you instantly. That’s what the brain is for, right? But the more you think about a secret, the more likely you are to send it, maybe even unwillingly, and reveal it to the outside world. In that moment, I truly put the secret away in a hidden shelf. It would only return to my memory some hours later, in the train station, coming back home.

We then proceeded the long walk to שדרות רוטשילד, where I was used to performing live. My act was simple, effective and, most of all, pleasurable to the audience and to the entertainer. I would simply sit on one of the benches, jam with my guitar, and ask some pedestrians if they wanted to listen to a song. If they wanted to take a 3 minute break in their days and listen to a live performance by a traveling South American musician.

The ones that said no; well, what can I say? You probably had better things to do with your time and chose not to listen to me. That’s ok, that’s your choice, I guess. I understand you, for I have done it many times as well.

The ones who said yes; all I can say is thank you. For you have brought more joy and hope to my heart than I could ever imagine achieving from music. You really ignited a star inside of me. The things I heard from you guys, the people from Tel Aviv, Amsterdam and Eilat, are among some of the best compliments I have ever received in my whole life here in Brazil. It was actually a bit scary, listening to so many people telling you just how talented and amazing your performance is. I wasn’t used to that, you know? But again, thanks to all of you! You ain’t seen the last of me!
So we settled in a random bench, next to a random tree, in front of a random coffee shop, right in the middle of Tel Aviv. After some minutes of slow business, Taylor realized that having a narguila there would really be cool. I mean, we could smoke some, it was kind of chilly out so that would be cool too. And besides, we could offer it to people and make our bench jam session sound a little bit more interesting to the wandering Israeli street-dweller.

I totally dug that idea instantly. But the problem was, we had just got there, we would have to go somewhere and buy one, I was actually thinking about buying a small one for myself, but then walk all the way back. I didn’t know, you know? But he said that he could go, no problem. I could stay there, maybe make some money. And after all, the night was young, having a narguila in hand ended up being a great idea, hehehe.

While he was gone, I suddenly started having amazing luck as a street-performer. Some guy went jogging by, but then he stopped and came back to sing a little with me. He asked me to play some Beatles. I sang ‘Help’, in my traditional rocker overdriven voice. He sang along and some pedestrians turned into by-standers to watch us perform.

Among the audience there were these two girls. One of them was astonishingly beautiful, with black straight hair, and rosy cheeks. As I was singing ‘Help’, she reached into her pocket and poured 30 silver, gold and bronze coins.
Around 50 שח, some US$ 15 at the time. A lot of money to give a street performer for half a song.

I stopped playing immediately as I realized they were leaving. I was like, “Hi, I’m sorry, I can’t just let you walk away like that, what’s your name?”, “(Russian Name).”, “Where are you from?”, “Russia.”
* WAYNE’S WORLD MODE ON*
SHWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!!!
* WAYNE’S WORLD MODE OFF*
Oh too bad that girl had to go away. They were apparently on their last night in Tel Aviv, they were going to a party and they were already late. But it’s alright, she wins the prize of most beautiful and mysterious pedestrian I have ever encountered. And one of the most generous tippers as well.

So the night was going well, I was already at 70 shekels when Taylor came back with the narguila. We lit it up and then the mood settled a bit. It was good, you know. Taylor and I needed a rest before the ultimate test that was to come later that night.

That was when we received the visit from a ghost from the past.

To be continued…

1 comment:

  1. Thumbs up for the waynes world reference! Dude these get better as the story progresses! Its almost like we need to make a movie out of this! OK that was a great idea, im gonna write a story based on this night and see if i can get it turned into a movie! It hasnt been done before has it?? Anyways, im lovin this blog bro, really awesome stuff and idk WHY anyone else isnt commenting...yet!... Dude you gotta send this link to everyone on the ulpan, they all know it and are gonna love to hear these stories. Then it will spread from there.....Cant wait for the 3rd installment...seriously, im STOKED!

    ReplyDelete